Sunday, March 28, 2010

jobs

Right now I'm in the thick of job searching. I've sent resumes to both coasts and to more than a few places in between. Until last week the response has been minimal. That is to say, I've received a single email informing me that while the position I had applied for was filled, they would certainly keep my resume on file and contact me if a position opened up in the future.

In the past few days a couple things have happened. First and foremost, I received an email from Shakespeare and Company, in Massachusetts. The email was short, merely stating they had read my resume (which I believe reads quite well) asking if I was still available and interested in working for the company. I sent a resume out in January, applying for a position as ME. Looking back at the job listing, I discovered something that sounded genuinely exciting. The company does a 13 show season across 3 different theaters. The listing states that 'some' positions are summer only. I think I've decided that if the position they've got in mind for me (apparently, that is, why else would they contact me?) goes for the whole season (until next March!) then I'm taking that job, regardless of what else might come up. Excepting something yet more awesome, but what are the chances of that?

I also discovered that First Presbyterian Theater will be creating a position for someone with a technical background. Presumably to handle designs, set building and light hang/focus. The job would pay (not terribly well, but regularly) and offer benefits. This is, I think, a fairly attractive prospect. It doesn't offer the fast-paced, intense theatre environment I really crave. But it would offer a regular paycheck for a few years while I built up a design portfolio. Wouldn't a position of responsibility look decent on a resume, even in a community theater? I don't know.

Now, neither of these opportunities, obviously, mean much until I can learn more about them.

That said, it is a gluttony of choice, which is not something I've had to date.

I feel like I'll end up taking the job in MA no matter what, if it's available. The trouble with the local job is that it's just not theatre up to a level that I can really enjoy. If no one's invested in the show, what's the point?

3 comments:

  1. I really think you should go for the on you'd enjoy the most. It's important to find joy in what you do, it makes your job exciting, and something to look forward to everyday, rather than to look up against.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the difficulty comes in deciding whether being as happy as possible outweighs the potentially better job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It depends. I would consider the job that causes the most happiness to me the "better job".

    ReplyDelete